The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for leadership, direction, and oversight of the Internal Audit Function of the District, and serves as the Chief Audit Executive. The Director of Internal Audit reports to the District’s Executive Vice President with reporting responsibilities to the Audit and Compliance Committee of the District’s Board of Directors. The Director of Internal Audit will exhibit a high level of integrity and independent judgment in managing reviews of financial, operational, and IT systems of the District. Internal Audit objectives are to ensure the existence, completeness and proper functioning of internal control systems to safeguard assets, ensure the reliability and accuracy of financial data, promote operational efficiency and ensure compliance with management and relevant regulatory or compliance policies. The Director of Internal Audit works closely with the senior management team and the District compliance function in conducting ongoing risk assessments.
1. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting required. CPA or CIA required.
2. At least ten years of experience in external or internal auditing, preferably in a healthcare environment.
3. Proficient in the use of spreadsheet, database, electronic mail and word processing software.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. High level of confidential judgment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with Board members, physicians, senior management and other key constituents in support of District goals; demonstrates respect and considers the impact of actions on the system’s stakeholders.
2. Selects, evaluates and develops direct reports to maintain a high-performing team; serves on designated teams as an active, open, honest and fully engaged partner; seeks and honors other’s skills and opinions.
3. Aligns goals and organizes resources to consistently achieve desired results; modifies course of action as necessary; considers the impact of plans on others and on the system; balances resolve and timeliness with sufficient collaboration and engagement
4. Demonstrates effective verbal and non-verbal skills with varied internal and external audiences; demonstrates self-confidence, transparency, sincerity, clarity and sensitivity in spoken and written communication; focuses communication on the needs and point of the view of the listener; is open to constructive feedback.
5. Demonstrates poise and self-control; establishes credibility, deals diplomatically with confrontation and dissent; instills a sense of trust and confidence in others.
6. Provides support and guidance to Internal Audit Staff in planning and executing audits. Ensures the Internal Audit Staff acquires sufficient continuing education to maintain professional proficiency and expanded development.
7. In coordination with operational and financial management, develops a strategic planning and risk assessment process for the identification and prioritization of potential audits. Presents the risk assessment and resulting audit plan annually to the Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board of Directors.
8. With latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, plans and supervises full scope audits, including financial, operational, compliance and process reviews.
9. Prepares internal audit reports detailing financial, compliance and operational deficiencies; and, develops recommendations to strengthen controls and improve processes, within cost/benefit considerations. Documents and communicates audit results both orally and in writing in an objective, clear, concise, and timely manner to management.
10. Develops, prepares and delivers dashboard reports containing audit metrics and significant findings to the Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board of Directors, at least quarterly. Works with various levels of management to follow-up on the status of recommendations.
11. Adheres to District policies.
12. Other duties as assigned.